What does a lump in the lower abdomen indicate?

I have a large/long lump on my lower left abdomen that doesn't protrude out of my body, it appears before and after my period (usually) and I've gotten an ultrasound for it but nothing showed up on it. It hurts A LOT, and I really have no clue what it is. I thought it might be cancer (but nothing showed up on the scan), because my mom has stage four terminal cancer and lots of other people in my family have cancer also. do you have any idea of what it could be?
Wed, 20 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* The non protruding abdomen lump in relation with menses period, might be ovarian follicle or else.
* I would suggest a CT scan of the pelvis at the time of menses.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.