What do you mean by low sodium diets?

do low sodium diets mean you have to cut out salt completly? do low sodium diets mean you have to cut out salt completly?
Mon, 14 Dec 2009
's  Response
Typically, a low sodium diet is less than 2000 mg per day but sometimes a doctor may give a lower limit. To do it you have to check all food labels. For example a slice of turkey is 280mg. A slice of Swiss cheese is 40mg a slice of bread is 110 mg. Add 70 mg for a glass of milk and you have a 610 mg meal. There is a lot of variation in products on the shelf. Some sliced turkey is 450 mg per serving. The meal above would go to 780 mg. Watch out for " fresh" meats which are injected with salt water. Turkey breasts are loaded. Doctors can prescribe a no sodium diet. That is nearly impossible. You have to cook all your own food and you cannot eat bread, drink milk or many of the common foods. Fruit is one of the only no sodium foods out there. Link gives some information. Read labels!