What do severe burning sensation and pain in the vagina indicate?

I have had severe burning and pain in my vagina. My Dr. said something was going on as it had a yellowish color. He gave me Hydrocortisone cream to use up there. I have used it for 1-1/2 days. Today as I was using the cream, I noticed a huge swelling as soon as I opened my vagina and it worries me. Any ideas?
Fri, 12 Jan 2018
Hi.

Thank you for reaching out to Health Care Magic.

There are several reasons for vaginal burning and pain -
Here are a few of these -
Vaginal infection
STD
Candidiasis
Bartholin's cyst

It would be a good idea to get the area tested and a swab taken to confirm the cause. This along with the culture and sensitivity can help one to get to the cause of the symptoms. Antibiotics can then be used to treat the symptoms.

Taking an STD panel test can be useful for the symptoms as well. The STD panel test will confirm the cause of the symptoms and the right treatment can be started.

A bartholin cyst is a very painful cyst that is seen when there is a blockage in the bartholin gland. The gland is acutely painful and many people find icing the area useful. Along with this, taking antibiotics may be useful as well.

Seeing a gynecologist for this would be a good idea.

I hope this helps. Please reach out to me if you have any other questions.

Dr Vignan