Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

180 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What do severe burning sensation and pain in the vagina indicate?

I have had severe burning and pain in my vagina. My Dr. said something was going on as it had a yellowish color. He gave me Hydrocortisone cream to use up there. I have used it for 1-1/2 days. Today as I was using the cream, I noticed a huge swelling as soon as I opened my vagina and it worries me. Any ideas?
Fri, 12 Jan 2018
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thank you for reaching out to Health Care Magic.

There are several reasons for vaginal burning and pain -
Here are a few of these -
Vaginal infection
Bartholin's cyst

It would be a good idea to get the area tested and a swab taken to confirm the cause. This along with the culture and sensitivity can help one to get to the cause of the symptoms. Antibiotics can then be used to treat the symptoms.

Taking an STD panel test can be useful for the symptoms as well. The STD panel test will confirm the cause of the symptoms and the right treatment can be started.

A bartholin cyst is a very painful cyst that is seen when there is a blockage in the bartholin gland. The gland is acutely painful and many people find icing the area useful. Along with this, taking antibiotics may be useful as well.

Seeing a gynecologist for this would be a good idea.

I hope this helps. Please reach out to me if you have any other questions.

Dr Vignan
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello, So I have been feeling a really bad pain when my boyfriend enters my vagina. We’ve had sex multiple times before and they have always been amazing and zero pain. All of sudden last Wednesday I felt a pain during sex that we had to stop. Today, Monday night, we tried again and at first it didn’t hurt but it almost felt like nothing was inside of me even though i could feel it. We tried to change positions and the second he came inside it hurt like hell. A huge rush of pain came over me. I just don’t know what it is. I’ve looked up so much stuff online and nothing seems to match what I’m feeling. There’s no discharge of any sort, my itching is very little, there’s no burning sensation, nor does it hurt to pee. I want to know what’s wrong so I’m able to be inmate with my boyfriend.

doctor1 MD

Hi I ve been having terrible burning sensation when I pee and there are canker like soars on the sides by the opening of the vagina it s to the point where it hurts when I walk and there is no way that it could a std because I and a virgin I every way.

doctor1 MD

Hi how are you I am a 22 year old female and I m starting to become concerned about symptoms I m experiencing in my genital area it started about just over s month ago roughly I was starting to experience pain during intercourse and afterward had a burning sensation and also while I urinated which was quite uncomfortable. This was happening for 2wks approx. Then the symptoms were starting to lesson. I went on holidays for two weeks thinking I d be better on return as I had no intercourse and thought this would help but on return I and now I am experiencing pain still mainly on entering. I m with my boyfriend a year now. I also found it hard to insert a tampon last week which I never experienced problems with before. Can you help give me some idea what it may be??