• question-icon

What causes upper abdominal pain?

Hi. 3 weeks ago it all started with an acute pain on my right side. By the next morning it had spread across lower abdomen and groin area so bad I could not sit or stand. Eventually went to the hospital where they gave me medication for an ulcer and antibiotics targeting a kidney infection. I was feverish, lethargic and in a lot of pain. A few days later the pain subsided and I was only left with fever and was feeling very tired. So I went for a 2nd opinion. This doctor gave me another course of antibiotics which I took on an empty stomach mostly due to the fact that I was too scared to eat anything. Now the fevers have gone and I no longer have lower abdominal pain however, it has moved to my upper abdomen. Sharp, burning pain especially after eating something. Especially worse in the evenings and now Im battling to stand straight without discomfort. Im assuming it s caused by an ulcer but one never knows. Any suggestions? Im so tired of feeling ill
Fri, 13 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* As per my clinical experience, such intense pain with difficulty in maintaining posture without discomfort must have underlying significant pathology which mandates to be evaluated in details.

* In our clinic, I recommend a CT scan of abdomen and pelvis to rule out pancreatitis or other possible causes.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.