What causes swollen lymph node in the neck?

Hi! I ve had.... I wouldn t even say a lump in my neck. But one side of my neck has felt bigger for 10 years now. I ve got a spot that feels like it has extra tissue. I m left handed, broke my collarbone on that side, and had an awful tonsil surgery. Not sure if it s scar tissue or something from that! I have a family history of cysts, and it s never hurt or changed or anything. Could my anatomy be different on one side? This is under my chin by my throat
Mon, 2 May 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

Welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you have symptoms of swollen lymph node in the neck which seems to be due to strep throat which is a bacterial infection.But there can be other causes also like viral pharyngitis . I would suggest you to

1) Antibiotics are first line of treatment option in this case. In case of mild fever you can take Calpol or paracetamol for relief as well as it will relieve throat pain too.

2) Hot milk with a pinch of turmeric boiled with it at bedtime for 2-3 days as it has antimicrobial action.

3) Avoid spicy and rough food. Take diet rich in soft food.

4) Sip on lukewarm water and take throat lozenges.

5) Take anti inflammatory drugs such as Levocetirizine.

If symptoms keeps on persisting visit ENT specialist once and get it examined. Maintain oral hygiene. Take proper course of antibiotics. Get blood tests done if required. Also apply warm compresses neck twice a day .

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari