What causes swelling,redness and pain in the toes?

My toe is super swollen and bright red, the skin is very far grown over my nail and i can’t touch anything on the whole toe. It has liquid coming out of it and it smells super bad. I can barely walk from it and i am getting sharp pains up my foot and leg. What should i do?
Tue, 26 Jun 2018

Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms seem to be related to an infection.
Some advice that I can give to you are:
-clean and dry the area frequently
-Soak the toe for about 15 minutes in a bathtub or bucket filled with warm water and salt.
-Rub an antibiotic ointment on the toe and wrap it in a clean bandage.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.