What causes swelling in hands and shoulders

I am wondering what might be the cause of the following symptons: severe swelling of hand, swelling of shoulders too. much pain for many weeks in shoulders so sleep can't be had. At one point unable to button shirts, comb hair, get self out of tub, and on and on. Now swelling gone due to prednisone for 1 week. blood tests show an increased level of CRP 43.5 and SED rate 28.Looking to see a rheumatologist as soon as we can get an appt. Any ideas?
Tue, 30 Dec 2014
HI
Well come to HCM
Given history here might be suggestive of arthritis changes, for confirmation of this condition some test and clinical examination are needed, you have not mentioned your age and gender, else this would be helpful in prediction and advise, take care.