What causes small, dark spot on gum?

I have a three year old daughter and just noticed a small dark spot on top of her farthest gum where your wisdom teeth would normally come in. This spot was not there a month ago at her dental check up. it looks as if someone drew a black dot with the tip of a pen. I must say this concerns me, the spot is not near a tooth at all. sincerely Barbara
Thu, 9 Jun 2016
Dentist 's  Response
Hello Barbara,

I can understand your concern. A dark spot on the gum can be just melanin pigmentation and nothing else. Melanin is a colored substance produced by body that is responsible for color of skin, black coloration of gums etc. If your daughter is not having any discomfort or pain, you can accept it as you accept any other birth mark and not worry about it.

However. if the mark changes over time, ulcerates and starts to bleed or presents with symptoms like itching, burning or discomfort of any type, it is necessary to visit a dentist for examination and further investigations regarding it.

I hope this information helps you. Thank you for choosing HCM. Take care.

Best,
Dr. Viraj Shah