What causes severe muscle spasms in the left hip?

What would cause periodic intermittent severe muscle spasms ( from hip to knee) seems to be related to having had a total left hip replacement over a year ago . Does not ever occur walking or sitting but happens in a standing position with trunk rotation and possible position of left foot which turns inward at times .these muscle spasms occur more frequently and are extremely painful and I am unable to even move for about 10 min after spasm subsides. Definitely impactingdaily activity with a fear of when they will occur
Tue, 12 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It can be due to magnesium deficiency.
I suggest you to do an examination of magnesium levels and start magnesium supplements.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.