What causes scabs on the septum after a tonsillectomy?

I have a severely deviated septum and was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea. After having my tonsils removed and a bone spur in my nasal passage, I continue to have scabbing on my septum and it blocks my breathing on one side. What can be causing this scabbing and would it be wise to get a biopsy to be on the safe side?
Tue, 17 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

May during surgery mucosa may injured cause scabbing. Other possibilities like herpes, environmental dryness, drugs, prolonged use of nasal sprays etc. Treatment of scabs in the nose will depend entirely on the cause. Treatments include:

1. Topical antibacterial and anesthetic ointments and creams, which can speed up healing, prevent infection, and offer pain relief.

2. Antivirals for conditions like herpes and HIV.

3. Daily allergy medications,oral antibiotics for sinus infections. If symptoms not improved please consult your ENT specialist he will examine and treat you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.