What causes redness and swelling in the eyes?

I woke up this morning and both my eyes, not the eyeballs though, are red and swollen they burn like they are on fire. This happens maybe once every other month. My eyelids and under my eyes are red like they are burnt. It hurts. It usually lasts until the next morning. What is it?
Mon, 30 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You are experiencing burning sensation in both the eyes because of inflammation, allergies, infections (conjunctivitis), fatigue, inappropriate sleep. Wash your eyes with clean water. Sometimes, redness, swelling and burning sensation can indicate serious diseases like glaucoma or uveitis. Get your eyes checked up by an ophthalmologist to screen out any developing problem. Take care.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Nupur K.