Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
174 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes pus formation in gums?

Hi. A long time ago, my tooth (left, upper) was impacted due to a bicycle accident. Since then, I observed pus (without pain) in the gum right where the impacted tooth is. Now, I notice a flesh has grown that looks like a skin tag on that part of the gum. Sometimes it has pus and bleeding.
Wed, 30 Jul 2014
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Medical Topics
Dentist, Orthodontics 's  Response
Dear sir/ Mam,
I understand your problem.whenever a tooth erupts ,it will tear the tissue above it to enter the mouth.when an impacted tooth erupts a little before getting impacted, the tissue above it will be loose and flabby.This loose tissue attracts and encourage food impaction.Constant food accumulation under this tissue will not allow it to heal.As a inflammatory process the tissue will become like a tag,develops pus and bleeds at times. As a first line of treatment cut the tissue tag , clean that area and take antibiotics.If it recurs,take an X-ray to check whether there is any possibility of the tooth to erupt by its own.If not try orthodontic eruption(braces) of tooth.
If nothing is possible last line of treatment is the removal of that problematic tooth.
Hope your query is answered.For further queries please dont hesitate to contact back.Thank you.
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Priyanka Tiwari's  Response

Thanks for consulting HCM

Read your query, as you have pis formation in gums this can be due to injury in periodontal ligament causing periodontal infection due to Intrusion of tooth leads to formation of Periodontal Abscess, for this I will suggest you to consult dentist and go for investigations Iopa xray of tooth and go for its treatment and excision of overgrowth of gingiva due to intrusion of tooth.
Do warm saline gargle , you can apply stolin gum paint on gum and consult dentist for its treatment.

Hope this will help you.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am having to take antibiotics for a cracked molar that happened last week. I have just started a course of antibiotics tonight for next 7 days....

Recent questions on  Gingiva

doctor1 MD

my 9 yr old (wt85lbs, 4 5 usually healthy as a horse)has more blisters than my sons did they never had blisters on their hands or feet but they all...

doctor1 MD

about a year ago, the inside of my lips peeled. now the outside of my lips are always dry. its almost like their dead. the inside layer that peeled...

doctor1 MD

My name is Charles Walters; Male; 48. i've recently been suffering from bloating, fullness, discomfort and sometimes pain in my abdomen. This has...

doctor1 MD

I have SIBO and IBS and recently found to be positive for H. Pylori. I was started on Tetracycline, pepto Bismol and Prilosec,and mycobutin and am...

doctor1 MD

the patient had guided tissue regeneration 1.Bottom right of mouth – gums torn after a procedure in October 2017 –– I don’t want to leave my gums...

doctor1 MD

Hello hoping you can help me out ... I had a cleaning today for the first time in 2 yrs I do have some deep pockets and gingivitis I quit smoking 7...

doctor1 MD

Still numb, the gingiva sensation under the front teeth improved but yesterday and today i have the sensitivity there again. Its now 4 weeks. The...