Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
155 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes pain in feet?

White 62 year old male with pain on balls of feet, primarily right foot with topical swelling between big and first toe on right foot only. Work involves walking or standing on concrete for up to 10 hours daily some time on stress mats ( but I also add a layer of cardboard to mine which really minimizes the discomfort). Some pain ( 7 of 10)when I press down on the second ( first to the right of big toe ) on right foot. Help
Wed, 4 May 2016
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain pain in ball of the foot also known as METATARSALGIA that occurs due to inflammation in the area of metatarsal bone while lies in the region of your ball of foot..

In your case it seems to be due to long persistent standing hours..

Other causes can be:
-Stress Fractures.
-Ill-fitting shows.
-Diabetic Neuropathy.
-Bunion etc.

I would suggest you to consult an Orthopedician and get evaluated and a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like x-ray, MRI Scan,blood tests to check for arthritis, gout and diabetes can help..

-You can be advised to take anti-inflammatory painkiller like Ibuprofen,Naproxen..
-Do cool compresses over the foot..
-Limit standing hours..
-Avoid excess exertion and also high impact exercises..
-Insoles or Orthotics can also be advised..
-Avoid high heels and wear flat shoes/sandles..
-You can also be advised Physiotherapy for relief..

In case if there is no resolution at times steroid injections and surgical treatment can also be advised..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I keep getting pains in my feet, I don t know if its dropped arches or I have gout....... I was off work a few days and it subsided. As soon as I...