What causes insect crawling sensation on scalp?

My mother of 91 years of age is feeling as if she has insects crawling on the right side of her scalp. There is nothing visible there. She s had this sensation for 2 days. Can you advise if this is serious and if so does she need to go to the hospital?
Mon, 30 May 2016
Abnormal sensations are common in old age as a result of sensory neuropathy. Suppliments containing Vitamin B 12 may help. Tablets like pregabalin or amitryptyline may be started after consulting your doctor.Reassurance and due care may help reduce her anxiety regarding the condition . Regards