• question-icon

What causes enlarged lymph nodes in the armpits?

I’m caring for my fiancee who is 76. As a result of an MRI, CT scan and biopsy she is being examined for possible cancer, some forms of which have been ruled out, soft tissue, lymphoma & melanoma. The oncologist is puzzled and is awaiting more test results from the biopsy. Her symptoms match very closely those for polymyalgia rhuematica including red cell sed rate, age, pain, disposition, etc. The only exception is that she has four enlarged lymph nodes in the upper right arm, arm pit and nearby chest wall. She has recently seen a doctor for rhumatoid arthritus without much luck. Any suggestions?
Thu, 18 Oct 2018

Most probably it will be due to infections in the surrounding sites.

You can consider a short course of antibiotics and watch for any improvement.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shinas Hussain,