What causes blackouts while suffering from severe cough?

My husband has chest congestion and an extremely heavy cough. today he has had several times when after coughing hard he gets very quiet for just s few seconds, appears to be contemplating whether he has more to cough up, but then his hands start to shake and he appears to wake up. he says he feels like he blacks out. He has a doctors appointment schedule for early tomorrow morning. should he consider going to the ER or what is causing these short blackouts. they last only a second or two, but he say he feels like they are longer.
Thu, 12 Jul 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Don't worry so much. Usually after or during a strong episode of cough might happen a black out. It is a normal reaction of the organism.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.