Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What causes an abscess in the shin?

my uncle is having a pus and kind of a big painful cavity in his shin area of his leg. followed by pus formation and intense pain and unable to walk. and it has almost reached his bone. so it is very very painful and cannot walk. started with a small boil and intensified and increased into a big cavity. He has seen dermatologists but they cannot find out what is he suffering from. They just do cleaning and cover with band aid. please let me know what is he suffering from and what are the steps for prevention?
Thu, 6 Oct 2016
Report Abuse
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

He needs an x ray to take a look at the bones in this area to make sure that there has been no spread to the bones.
This can sometimes occur in long term infections and if present, would require intensive treatment.

He may want to consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon for assessment of the wound and the bones in the area.
Removal of dead or infected areas may need to be combined with a prolonged course of antibiotics.

His general doctor or dermatologist should be able to refer him to an orthopedic doctor in the area.

I hope this helps
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Hello. my name is Mary. I have two abscess on my armpit. I went to the ER on the 15th. they gave me two antibiotics. one oral and one to rub on,...