What are the causes for a kidney failure?

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here..

Hi It is regarding my brother who lives in Varanasi- India... He is facing problems while passing urine... I think his kidney has failed... unable to filter properly... what do you think?
About him: he drinks a lot and about 9 years ago he had donated blood twice in a month when he himself was very weak and needed blood... please advice ... thanks
Tue, 13 Sep 2016
I have gone through your query and understand your concerns.
Most common causes for kidney failure are
-Diabetes
-Hypertension
others include
-Auto immune diseases

Donating blood doesn't effect the kidney to fail. If he is having difficulty in passing urine he need to rule out kidney stones which cause obstruction and also have a renal function test done to know about the level of kidney disease. Ultrasound KUB will help you to know about the size of the kidneys.
Please consult your nephrologist with the following reports so that they can access you further and give him early diagnosis and treatment.

Dr.Alekhya.