Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...I

Welcome to 'Ask a Doctor'. Please type your question here...I am a woman in her early 30s who has a rare genetic disorder with multiple comorbidities. My connective tissues are falling apart, my hips and shoulders dislocate, I vomit a lot due to gut issues, and I'm a terrible insomniac with severe anxiety on top of it. Medical marijuana became legal in my state in 2016, and I just got my card a couple weeks ago. However, I am hesitant to tell my huge swath of doctors about this. I know it's unwise to keep medical info from your care team, but there's still such a stigma against marijuana, with people denying its medical value and thinking people just want to get stoned. Since starting, I was able to get off of both the benzo I took for anxiety and panic attacks and the prescription sleeping pill; I've cut down drastically on the amount of muscle relaxers I'm taking, and I finally have an antiemetic that I don't have to swallow while I'm nauseous or projectile vomiting. All of these have been positives and what I wanted, and unless it's something for sleep, the strains I'm using are keeping me able to function on a normal level.

I fear that if I tell my doctors about this, they won't look at me the same way as a patient and think I'm just some stoner loser. So is this something I should keep secret for now, or are doctors more enlightened on this subject than I have been lead to believe? Really, I just wanted to get off of so many pills. I have 12 different prescriptions right now, not counting the marijuana, and the side effects are often worse than what they're trying to treat. Will my doctors understand this?
Wed, 7 Nov 2018