Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Want to know if I have depression. Lost appetite, feel worthless, get angry easily

Hi I want to know if I have depression . I feel as though if I can recognize that I might have depression or a mental illness , it means I m sane and OK. Anyway, Ive been emotionally (and physically) abused by my parents for my entire life. Lately, esp with the recent disallowing me to apply for Harvard and UPenn (my lifelong dream), I feel Ive gradually lost my love for my father (and to some extent, mom too). I cant smile or be happy in front of them, I dont want to talk to them, I have lost my appetite , I keep getting angry over the smallest things (in private of course), I feel worthless and that no one understands and above all, this wallowing emptiness. I ve entertained thoughts of suicide , but I know this is a very stupid option and I doubt Ill ever go through with it. My friends don t understand (can t blame them, theyre only children really), my teachers dont really care (and I imagine they ll keep passing me onto another teacher, again, understandably, theyre only paid to teach) and the school counselor has a policy of calling up your parents over anything. I have no other family, relatives or siblings. Do I have depression or am I mentally still coherent? I just want to know that Im functioning OK.
Asked On : Thu, 28 Jun 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  20
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response

I understand your thoughts and feelings.

These happen in our daily life but I do not see this as a major depressive disorder.

I am happy that you have understood your problem much earlier and much better.

It is right time to consult a psychologist and seek help.

In my opinion, you do not need any anti-depressive medications. You just need a series of counselling sessions and sharing thoughts with your doctor or counsellor.

Meanwhile, divert your thoughts to things that are more constructive. Learn a new hobby. Exercise regularly.

You should be fine soon.

My sincere well wishes to you.

I wish to give you a more personalized answer.

You may ask me a query at this link
Answered: Thu, 28 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor