Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Tooth pain after an unsuccessful root filling. Extraction suggested due to tooth decay. Any other treatment?

Well, years ago I had root filling- which was successful. Then my tooth started to hurt me and I realised I only had about half/third of my tooth. I went to the dentist and they said decay has gone straight up the bone and there is not enough tooth for a crown and the only thing to do is extraction howver the root filling was still there. However I am only 18 and i cant afford a replacment and I dont want to get my tooth extracted!- what can I do ?
Asked On : Mon, 5 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  50
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Dentist 's  Response
hello and welcome to hcm forum,
i would be glad to inform you that if the infection around the concerned tooth is not too widespread, then a post & core followed by a crown can be placed over your tooth. In such cases, RCT may be redone, therefore i advise you to see an Endodontist before getting the tooth extracted.
I don't get, why your dentist did not prescribe you a crown years ago following the root canal treatment, to avoid the crown of the tooth from fracturing.
I cannot assure or provide you with the treatment until, oral cavity is thoroughly checked.
therefore, i recommend you to take a second opinion .
i hope i answered your query
i wish you good health.
Answered: Tue, 6 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor