Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online

Swollen lymph nodes on neck, under jaw are, migraine headaches. CT scan done. History of whiplash. Treatment?

My boyfriend is a mechanic in the National Guard. He was also involved in a car accident several years ago, some whiplash. He has swollen lymph nodes on one side of his neck under the jaw area. He is having migraine headaches with severe pain behind one eye. He has had ct s and examined several times by military doctors with no diagnosis. Today he was working on my car and is now suffering with these symptoms. I read about occipital neuralgia but it didn t say anything about having swollen lymph glands. Please advise us on any specific tests he needs or what you think he could be suffering from. Thank you
Asked On : Thu, 12 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  508
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Good question and thanks for asking. He could have what is termed "post-concussive migraine". This can result from mild to moderate head injury that primes the small branches of the trigeminal nerve to causes dilatation of the blood vessels within the brain which causes the pounding that classically manifests during a migraine. These migraines are treated in identical fashion to regular migraines. These headaches he is having may also be cluster headaches, rather than migraines. It's difficult to say without a complete history and physical. Cluster headaches are treated slightly differently than migraines. As for the lymph nodes, their origin could be due to a multitude of factors. It depends on how long these nodes have been swollen. If these nodes are more recent, they are most likely unrelated to head trauma and possibly due to viral infection, for example. If these nodes became enlarged soon after the head trauma and they have remained that way ever since, it could be due to chronic blockage to lymphatic drainage and an MRI of the head and neck may reveal the cause. Consulting a neurologist and ENT specialist would be helpful in establishing the correct diagnosis and proper treatment. I hope this has helped orient you. Best of luck and health to him!
Answered: Thu, 12 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor