Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for canker sores in mouth

I keep getting what have been referred to as canker sores in my mouth. At time the pain is bad enough that I can only drink cold liquids. I have been prescribed magic mouthwash and a prescription paste to apply. I have no idea why I keep getting these. Shouldn t I have blood tests or a biopsy of one done to see exactly what the problem is? In 2011 I had Stevens Johnson syndrome caused from an allergic reaction to an antibiotic. It caused the inside of my mouth to peel. The skin was just sloughing off. I could not eat solid food for several weeks and ended up in the hospital. Every time I get one of these mouth sores I start worrying it is the same thing again. The SJ started with these so called canker sores.
Thu, 25 Jun 2015
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

Welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern.

Thanks for your concern . The symptoms you mention in query are clearly pointing towards a condition known as cancer sore . These occur due to various factors like hot and acidic food , any injury to mucosa , stress , hormonal changes or some medicines. As you have previous history of Stevens Jones Syndrome, your immunity of oral cavity is low and mucosa is highly susceptible for sores.

They usually go away within few days by their own.

I would suggest you to :-

- Start doing warm saline and baking soda rinses .

- Apply orabase gel before having meal to reduce burning sensation.

- Do betadine rinses also for twice a day .

If condition doesn't subside in a weak then consult oral pathologist for proper diagnosis and then go for biopsy by taking sample from oral mucosa.

Doctor may prescribe steroid ointment or drug like sucralfate .

Also start taking Vitamin B complex supplement. Avoid drinking and smoking.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

How can my daughtrer get rid of canker sores. ? They are all over her mouth. She has a serious allergy to adhesives and has a sore on her back from...