Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for bruise in the mouth

Hi, I do Muay Thai boxing for leisure. I wore a regular mouth guard during training. N every time after wearing it, I asked to have flaps of skin at the sides of the inside of my mouth. It's not painful but just annoying. Is it due to the mouth guard, causing it to cut or bruise the inside of my mouth?
Fri, 30 Sep 2016
Report Abuse
Dentist 's  Response

I can understand your concern. If your mouth guard has worn off or if it is having a sharp edge that constantly pinches the inside of the mouth, the symptoms that you are describing can occur.

I suggest that you should see a dentist for the clinical examination of the flaps of skin. It might be gingival enlargement, too. Confirmed diagnosis requires clinical examination by a dentist. After the examination you might have to go for biopsy and surgical excision of the extra skin inside the mouth.

In addition, if you are using the same mouth guard regularly for more than 6 months, you should go for a new mouth guard so problems associated with worn edges can be avoided.

I hope this information helps you. Thank you for choosing HealthcareMagic. I wish you feel better soon.

Dr. Viraj Shah
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I have a raw feeling on the inside of my cheeks it burns when I drink a carbonated drink it feels like I can feel my blood vessels on the inside of...