Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
177 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for Diverticulitis and UTI

Yesterday I was seen in an Urgent Care for lower left abdominal pain - after a urine test they ruled out UTI and diagnosed me with Diverticulitis however the pain got worse and started to spread so I went to the ER where the CT scan showed no Diverticulitis but a mass in my uterus measuring 6 cm and an enlarged uterus. I was given Percocet to help with pain and told to make an apt with OB/GYN - my GYNs office is saying there is no way a fibroid can cause the pain I am in and it has to be Diverticulitis. I have no bleeding and it feels like I a bowling ball is lodged in my uterus. Is it possible to have this pain with a fibroid? I am not having burning sensation when I pee. I forced my way into an appt on Wednesday morning with a NP at the GYN office and was told she would consult with a Doctor if that was even necessary . What else should I be doing?
Tue, 13 Dec 2016
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query. I am Dr. Rommstein, I understand your concerns and I will try to help you as much as I can

Treatment for diverticulitis depends on how bad your symptoms are. If the pain is mild, you are able to drink liquids, and you have no signs ofcomplications, treatment may include:Medicines such asantibiotics and pain relievers.
Changes in diet, starting with a clear-liquid or bland diet that is low in fiber until the pain goes away, then increasing the amount of fiber.
If the pain is severe, you are not able to drink liquids, or you have complications of diverticulitis, a hospital stay is needed. Treatment will include:
Antibiotics given in a vein (intravenous, or IV).Intravenous fluids and nutrition only (no food or drink by mouth) for up to a week to allow the bowel to rest.
In more severe cases, surgery may be required.

I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact us in every time.
Kindly regards. Wish you a good health.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I was recently diagnosed with diverticulitis after being diagnosed for two weeks with UTI. CT showed the diverticulitis. I have had IBS for years....