Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

Suffering with Osteochondritis Dissecans of Talus. Best procedure to cure it ?

Hi Doctor, its related to ortho. I am AAAAAA 34 yrs male, 85kg weight, 170cms height. I am suffering with Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Talus. what will be the procedure for curing this. It was identified in bonescan and MRI & CT scan also performed to confirm it. I am on non weight bearing for last 3 months but no improvement in the status. Please suggest me what should be the best procedure to cure it.
Asked On : Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  53
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

Thanks for posting your query.

In Osteochondritis Desscans (OCD), there is a loss of blood supply to a segment of bone and cartilage in the talus bone of the ankle. If it is not healed after nonweight bearing for 3 months, you need surgical treatment.

Initial treatment involves arthroscopy to remove severely damaged fragments or drilling through the area with no blood supply into adjacent healthy bone. This allows blood supply to enter the injured area and encourage healing. In severe cases, when drilling is not effective, a new procedure allows the transplantation of new cartilage and bone into the defect.

So discuss these surgical options with your orthopaedic surgeon.

Wishing you good health
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic surgeon
Answered: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor