Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Suffering from ADHD. Less growth. Abnormal behavior when has melt down. How to treat?

My 13 year old grandson has ADHD. He is only small in height and weight but when he has a melt down, he can become very strong and dangerous. We are at our wits end as to what to do. He has been under many doctors but nothing seems to help. Today my daughter called the police to him just to calm him down. I am really worried that there doesn't seem to be any help here in Melbourne. Can you help us.
Asked On : Tue, 30 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  21
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic
ADHD children have attention deficit and hyperactivity. Sometimes there can be associated mental retardation i.e. low IQ. Due to hyperactivity the children cannot keep themselves at one place. But if the child is very aggressive he needs to be treated with low doses of antipsychotics or mood stabilizers to cut down aggression. The child needs medication as well as the help of a good counselor. The child should be allowed to play in open ground till all his energies get exhausted. Tasks improving concentration should be given to him. There should be encouragement for positive behavior and neglect of negative deeds. Also several conditions in childhood mimic ADHD and need to be ruled out.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor