Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

193 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should a shoulder surgery be done for rotator cuff injury?

Should I be open to surgery if after an MRI and eight weeks physical therapy on shoulder for two small thick rotator tears, bone spur, bursitis and calcification has not helped? Also have some arthritis in shoulder as well. Only 49 years old. But this is the third injury to this same shoulder.
Wed, 11 Jul 2018
Report Abuse
Orthopaedic Surgeon 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

A surgery is needed if it is more than a partial thickness tear.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

I am on Coumadin ,Monday morning INR 3.2. Normal 2.5 - 3.5 mechanical aortic vlv. Must have been bitten 4 or 5 days ago. Showered two hours ago and saw the bruise which I saw at least 3-4 days ago and just thought I smacked it against something, Heavy equipment mechanic, then I noticed what appeared to be a single pimple in the center of the bruise. I felt like I torn a rotator cuff all week long. Is it too late or should I seek urgent or emergency care tonight or tomorrow morning?

doctor1 MD

I am 49 yr old male. I have grade 2-3 testicular varicocele?as well bulging. I fell about a month ago on some ice and landed on my tailbone and palms of hands. Really hurt my rotator cuff. Also I was diagnosed in 1992 being HIV positive. I am in physical therapy and I have some pain medicine but it s not enough with all I have going on. I don t feel like my ortho doctor is taking in my whole case and treating me enough. Should I try pain management or new ortho specialist?

doctor1 MD

I am 61 years old and fell hard on ice . I slammed my shoulder when I went down. I went to the doctor and he said because I could raise my arms straight upward, to my sides and in back and could push against his hands that it was unlikely to be a rotator cuff tear, that it could be stretched tendons or muscles. I applied ice for 2 days and heat for the next few days and took ibuprofen but something doesn’t feel right. I went to the dr again and had an X-ray taken. There were no broken bones or bone spurs. The doctor said that he doesn’t think it’s a rotator cuff injury but if I did it might be a partial tear or a sprain. He prescribed Naproxen sodium twice a day every 12 hours yesterday for 10 days and if it’s still hurting I should go for physical therapy. My shoulder aches and although I can raise my hands to the sides my right arm, the one that was injured feels hard to keep up and I can’t do a large backward circle with that arm. It starts to hurt when I reach my arm up and backward so I can’t complete the circle. It feels like something is wrong with the rotation. Do you think it’s the rotator cuff?