Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

136 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Should I consult a neurologist for lower abdominal pain?

My husband has been having lower abdominal pain...pain sometimes sitting and standing...pain shooting down the back of his leg. We just had a CT scan to rule out a hernia...and everything came back great. The urologist said possibly could be something w the nerves so we should see a neurologist??? Would that be the next step...???
Tue, 5 Mar 2019
Report Abuse
General Surgeon 's  Response

Is your husband having a lower abdominal pain or low backache. Usually low backache pain radiates down to the back of the thigh in sciatica. I think he is suffering with this.

So, I suggest you to consult an orthopedician and come to a diagnosis. Usually MRI is taken to see for any nerve compression. Usually symptoms will be relieved with physiotherapy. hope this information is helpful.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Venkat Narayana Badipatla,
General Surgeon
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

pain in the lower abdomen that has moved from right hand side to the middle. this happened from past three months. We have checked with a urologist & gastroentrologist who found nothing wrong with me. But from today afternoon the pain has moved from the right side below abdomen region to the centre below the navel above the penis. Is something serious & should I immediately go to a hospital? In the evening today I consulted a doctor in the emergency unit at columbia asia hospital? The doctor checked for Hernia & apendicitis problems. But I had neither problem. He suspects small kidney stones causing this pain. Two mths bk I had got my abdomen scanned for the same problem at manipal hospital. Both urologist & gastroentrologst found no problem here. pls advise - I am a married ,43 yrs old man with 2 children

doctor1 MD

Hi, my mother has lower abdominal pain. She has history of cysts and fibroids in uterus and ovaries, respectively. Cyst is simple, no fluid and small in size. She has been given antibiotics such as Ciproxin, flagyl (metronidazole), Clycin V Cream, initially. Later on with increased pain around her vagina and above, she was recommended Pap smear, CBC, Pelvic Ultra sound (followup). Blood report shows ESR a bit higher than normal. Ultra sound showed the same as above with addition of Right Tubo-ovarian mass and PID. She was given Contimycin, Sechnidol forte and Diflucan. Still, she did not find relieve. We changed doctor to take another opinion. Her colleague suggested surgery due to tuboovarian mass. For opinion on surgery as whether it is really required n only last option we consult a consultant gynaecologist. She advised Ca-125, urine test and HVS (culture & sensitivity test). It was advised it might be Urinary tract infection as my mother is in menopausal stage. Thank God Ca-125 came in the normal range, HVS showed no growth (maybe due to use of earlier antibiotics), urine showed turbidity, yeast, pus & epithelial cells. Here, doctor need for antibiotics as many were already used. Continue using a pain killer No-Spa (derovatrine HCl) and a sachet was given to dissolve in water to drink for healthy urine. No further specific medicines are prescribed as HVS test showed no specific growth. Thing is mama still feels pain...Is this pain really UTI? How long she should be on pain killers??? Is it something else?

doctor1 MD

hi, i had gone for tubectomy[mini lap] 20 days back,now im having pain in lower abdomen,lot of pain while passing urine,im having lot of gas i my tummy is it gastric problem.but not having any burning sensation,i consult gynecologist she told that it is urinary bladder infection,she priscribed me augmentin for 5 days,combiflam for pain relief ,i used for 3 days but im not having any relief,whom should i consult a gastroenterologist or i have to go back gynicologist