Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Puncture wound on calf muscle, crackling sound under skin. Need for concern?

Age: 30 Height: 178cm Weight: 79kg Sex: male Occupation: Motorcycle Mechanic Issue: Today I received a small puncture wound to my left calf muscle , a small split pin (aprox 3mm diameter) was pressed into my leg about 10mm deep along the Gastrocnemius muscle . Once the split pin was removed I noticed quite a few lumps spread out around the wounded area, which, When I tried to move the bubble like lumps with my finger , made a crackling sound like air under my skin & they moved around under my skin, is this something to be concerned about & will it heal it self or should I be rushing to the medical center ? Thanks Brad.
Asked On : Fri, 1 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  331
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Critical Care Specialist 's  Response
Hi thanks for your question.
The punctured wound which you have got by a screw needs medical attension as chances of this wound getting infected are more.The lump your mentioning could be haematoma (collection of blood under skin and muscle) and if haematoma is of large size,it needs to be drained,otherwise it can get infected.You may need antiseptic dressing,tetnus toxoid and antibiotic.So seek medical attension and don't neglect it.
Hope this answers your question.
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor