Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Pain in head and jaw, ear pain, sensitivity to touch. Should I be concerned?

I have pain on the left side of my head running from the middle of the head down to my jaw. It hurts around the eye, the cheekbone, temple and the upper gum. There is some aching around the ear. This is not a typical pounding headache but a mild ache and extreme sensitivity to touch. Should I be concerned? It started last night while I was sleeping. I rolled over on to the left side and when my pillow touched the side of my head I woke up.
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  129
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
unilateral headache with characteristics you describe could be migraines, but migraines especially for those with typical presentations would be accompanied by nausea, visual disturbances. Other primary headaches like cluster headaches could have same presentations. There is another unlitateral headache, which in your case could be like is temporal arteritis. Its worth consulting and doing an erythrocyte sedimantation, an examination that measures the degree of chronic inflammation. Raised levels could be suggestive of temporal arteritis and appropriate treatment given.
A consultation with a neurologist could be of help in clarifying whether its a primary or secondary headache, and maybe some other blood or morphological tests. Some of these diseases like temporal arteritis if left undiagnosed, in some rare cases could rapidly evolve into blindness if the optic nerve gets involved.
Its a matter of urgency to get a neurologist consult you.
Hope this helps,
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor