Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Old age, had a fall, hallucinating, in cardiac care, had depression. Get memory back?

Hello. My mom age 85 is in the hospital due to a fall. Thank God nothing is broken however she doesn t recognize most of us and talks to our deceased loved ones. She actually gets upset when we don t acknowledge that they are there. She has been off of all pain meds for three days so that was ruled out. This afternoon her heart rate jumped from 150 down to 50. She is now in the cardiac care unit of the hospital that she was taken to. She seems to be failing. She is a diabetic, controlled b/p and basically a healthy person. She suffers from depression since my dad passed 10 yrs ago. Do you think there is a chance of her getting her memory back? Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 27 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
These hallucinations are likely to be precipitated by acute stressful situation. Mostly this happens due to underlying age related brain degeneration, although this can also be unmasking of subclinical dementia. Its is possible she recovers her memory back , if she is not having dementia , this will get clear only with passing time, meanwhile we need to make sure that her general health improves and she recovers from other treatable medical problems.

Dr Kapil Agarwal
Consultant neurologist
Answered: Sun, 3 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor