My husband is scheduled for exploratory surgery and possible ulnar

My husband is scheduled for exploratory surgery and possible ulnar nerve repair. He had a deep laceration in his upper arm 5 weeks ago that required 48 stitches and his tricep was severed. He has no feeling in his left pinkie and ring finger. Wondering how common this surgery is and the success rate. If needed, the doctor will be using nerve grafts, nerve protectors and conductors to reconnect the nerve, which is not covered under his medicare replacement coverage (Aetna). This could cost us $20,000-$30,000! Doctor said he wouldn't know if the surgery is a success for at least one year. Should we see a neurologist (the current doctor is a plastic surgeon) to see if we might have other options that could be covered by insurance? Any input would be helpful in making our decision.
Sun, 21 Oct 2018