Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Knuckle pads evaluated, had lumps on knuckles. Go for surgery?

hello. I recently had a couple knuckle pads evaluated by an ortho surgeon. He said they could be surgically removed but could return. No other treatment options were recommended. He did not believe injections would be beneficial, though I had a small lump -perhaps not a knuckle pad- successfully injected many years ago while in PTA school (1995). I ve been a PTA for 17 years and of course use my hands (most of the pads are on right). He thought my career had nothing to do with these pads. i don t want to opt for surgery at this time but would like to know if there are other options worth exploring. thank you
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  66
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Thanks for writing in.

Neither medical nor surgical interventions for knuckle pads are very effective. Eliminating the source of mechanical or repetitive trauma may improve the lesions. Injections of corticosteroids or fluorouracil may reduce the size of the pads. Application of silicone gel sheeting has had limited success. Applications of keratolytics, such as salicylic acid or urea, have helped to soften and even reduce the lesions. Radiation therapy and application of solid carbon dioxide have been reported to be of some help in selected cases.

Please discuss above options with your doctor.

Hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 24 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor