Is there a permanent cure for Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis?

I developed hypersensitive pneumonitis due to medication ,carbamazepine ,after several is its to respiratory consultant plus several tests,tell me will I ever get my breathing right again I have never smoked don t drink I m more in sport play bowls but at 80 I would like to walk miles again will I?
Tue, 19 Jun 2018
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP) is caused by allergen. So get done detailed allergy test. Best treatment of allergy is identification of allergen and if possible complete avoidance of it. Once you avoid allergen, your breathing will definitely improve. But if HP is for longer time then it may become chronic and develop into ILD (interstitial lung disease). So better to act faster and identify the cause. Long term steroid should be started for symptomatic relief in HP.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.