Is smoking Marijuana safe while on a ventriculoperitoneal shunt?

Can i use marijuana even if i have a vp shunt will it affect it in any negative way or will i be ok. I been somewhat using cbd and thc. And i seem to be okay. But is it dangerous in any way. And also. If i get surgery and i have thc in my system is there in any way it can harm me thru anesthesia
Fri, 27 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It is better to avoid cannabinoids as it can increase your intra cranial pressure and may affect the shunt. Also cannabinoids in the body may interact with anesthesia drugs and produce unwanted complications during the surgery. So it is safe to avoid marijuana as of now.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.