Is my blood pressure medication effective?

I have BP that goes from high 130-145 over high 80-95 with a pulse rate of 90 s. I am on a low dose of Metoprolol and now BP is better, 115-125/75-85, but, pulse is still around 77-90. I still don t feel right as my initial symptom before meds was feeling pressure in my head and like i was dizzy or going to pass out. What else could be at play? Should I try other meds? I am worried that my diastolic and pulse are still high.
Mon, 7 Dec 2015
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello!

Thank you for your question on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that your symptoms don't seem to be related to your blood pressure. Your actual blood pressure values seem to be OK.

Your diastolic blood pressure is within the normal ranges too.

Regarding your heart rate, it doesn't seem to be elevated, becuase it is normal to have similar fluctuations during the day.

Nevertheless, I would recommend performing a Doppler ultrasound of the cervical arteries to examine the blood flow to the brain and exclude any possible vessel stenosis, which could lead to the episodes of dizziness.

Thyroid hormone levels, are necessary to exclude possible thyroid dysfunction.

Regarding your headache, I would recommend consulting with a neurologist for a careful physical examination and a possible brain CT scan to find out the cause. A routine blood tests for chronic anemia or inflammation would be necessary too.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Greetings!

Dr. Iliri