Is it normal for a lump at an injury site to be extremely painful?

Hi. Earlier this week, on Monday, I went to E.R. due to a severe bruise and lump on my right side, wrapping around to my back. I hsve s history of strokes and high bp, do roommate took me to ER. After several hours of bloodwork, labwork, and CT scan, ER sent me home. Bruising snd most of the psin is healing nicely, BUT, I still have a HUGE lump at impact site ehich is extremely tender to the toych, and when I kay down. I am on SSI and have no $; vould you answer my question as a one-time couetesy? Is it normal for hugh lump at impact site to be extremely psinful, even though bruise is fading? Thank you.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

* The lump with severe pain indicate internal stretching of subcutaneous tissue, muscle or else.
* A remote possibility of developing abscess or infection has to be checked by clinical examination of warmth and temperature changes of the overlying skin.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.