Is it advisable to have the extra cartaledge on sternum removed?

I have always had extra cartaledge on the bottom of my sternum sternum. I tried stand up paddle boarding, but when I lay down on the board, the cartiledege stood out far enough to cause pain and abraid the skin on the outside skin to the point where there was bleeding. I wondered if I should have the cartilage removed surgically and worried whether the cartilage may interfere with the functioning of my body in other way?
Thu, 12 Feb 2015
Hi
Welcome to healthcaremagic
I have gone through your query and understand your concern.You are having extra cartilage at sternum to the tune of it is causing tenting of skin to the level it is likely to be causing skin bleeding and causing continuous pain. Then it is advisable to get its x ray and excision of extra part. You can discuss with your doctor about it. Hope your query get answered. If you have any clarification then don't hesitate to write to us. I will be happy to help you.
Wishing you a good health.