Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
180 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Is fluid pocket in the chin after a hit a concern?

My son is 17 and a wrestler. He was hit in the lower part of shin several weeks ago, which turned into a big bruise at the time. Since then, the bruising has gone away, but there is a pocket of fluid at the site, with some numbness. It is not painful to the touch. Seems like a small water balloon under the skin. Is this something to worry about, or have checked by a physician?
Fri, 27 Apr 2018
Report Abuse
Anesthesiologist 's  Response

No, it is not a very emergency condition which needs to be treated urgently, but we need to know what the fluid collection was. Go to a doctor and get it drained or if it gets infected, it might even spread.

Boils should be opened with a sterile blade, and the pus should be sent for culture and sensitivity. Based on the reports, we can treat him with antibiotic cover for infection to be subsiding.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Archana
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

2 weeks ago today i fell quite hard playing softball, hitting my shin with my cleats. it bruised up quite nicely and had a small knot on my shin....