Is constant pain in the knees and hips normal while on an implanted rod?

I have a rod in my femur after a horse riding fall in 2009. I had 2 screws at the knee end removed about 8 months after the implantion. In 2011 an attempt was made to remove the rod and remaining screws ( in the hip part ) and the heads of both screws broke. They were unable to remove anything and advised me all would be ok. I have had constant pain - sharp stabbing and throbbing dull ache-in the knee and hip. My 2 questions are - is this normal? ( surgeon says yes..) and if I need a hip or knee replacement will either be possible? Thank you for your time, Amanda.
Wed, 18 Jul 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Rod usually does not cause a constant pain in the joints unless it is loose or displaced. Do get an X-ray done to find out.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.