Is a heart cath safe ?

Is it a tube that they insert or is it just the dye substance that they inject..or both ? How safe is this ?
Tue, 15 Dec 2009
's  Response
Heart Cath is a test that gives detailed information about the heart and major blood vessels. In a Heart Cath the doctor will slide a small plastic tube called a catheter through a vein or artery until it reaches the heart. The doctor watches on an X-ray machine while doing this. The tube is moved inside the heart and the amount of oxygen and pressure in each of the chambers of the heart and major blood vessels is measured. A special liquid called contrast solution, or dye, is injected into the tube. Pictures are taken of the dye passing through the heart. This part of the test is called angiography. The dye passes out of the body through the kidneys within 24 hours The following informations are obtained from the test :- the pressure in the chambers of the heart and its large blood vessels and the amount of blood pumped into the body with each beat . The test is safe.