Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Infant seems to slow in achieving milestones. Which specialist should be consulted?

My daughter is 12 months old, but her developmental assessment places her at 6-7 months. She can sit on her own but seems unsteady, she can crawl. She can utter sounds but cannot put two sounds together. She is adopted and we have no access to information regarding prematurity. Her height weight and head circumference was much below the lowest percentile when we adopted her at the age of 5 months, but she gradually gained and has entered the lowest percentile now. Which specialist should we consult for her.
Asked On : Mon, 29 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  30
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response
Failure to achieve developmental milestones may be due to variety of causes.
In your case, as birth and perinatal history is not known, it is difficult to predict the cause.
But you should visit pediatritian / Neuro-developmental specialist immediately to find the cause and start necessary treatments.
Causes may be nutritional deficiencies, premature birth, birth asphyxia, maternal or neonatal infections etc.
Most of the time, the child needs long term follow up and managements like self-care training,social development and speech therapy,gross and fine motor training, sensory regulation,communication skills training etc. Neuro-developmental follow up - is a recent wing in extended Neonatology a very few centers have the facilities. However, I would suggest you to choose a near-by / conveniently accessible clinic as the child may need long term follow up. Treatment should be started as early as possible as early management has better prognosis.
Answered: Mon, 29 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor