Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

I ve had this fluttering sensation with my heart that my heart skips a beat ?

This is the second time in a row that I ve had this fluttering sensation with my heart. It lasted several hours yesterday (happeneing about every 30 seconds) and now it has continued today at various intervals. It has been going on for a few hours now tonight. Is this dangerous? If I place my hand over my heart and push down to get a better feel, I eventually feel my heart skip a beat. I heard from my parents that when I was born I had an irregular heart beat but that went away and I was released from the hospitol. I ve told my parents about it but they think it is nothing. Can this redevelop and is this soemthing I should worry about? It is also not caused by caffine. I have several cups of tea daily and never had flutters this frequent. Just to check I cut the caffine intake today and I ve had no change at all. And another seems to stop completely when I lie down but when I sit up/stand it starts again. Some more things - I m 17 and weight about 135 lbs. I have been eating this chocolate orange the last 2 days and it seems it happens after I eat that. I eat chocolate all the time so I don t know what is in it to cause it.
Fri, 11 Dec 2009
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
  User's Response
Hi, Great Question, I'm an Echocardiographer and I've published quite a bit on the subject online. From what you've described, the Arrythmia your having is called Supraventricular Tachycardia or SVT. You should'nt worry about it unless your having symptoms (ie... shortness of breath, chest pain or discomfort) in which case make an appointment to see a Cardiologist, they will have you wear a Holter monitor for a couple of days to see the significance of your arrythmias. Here's the link to learn more... Also... Good luck!
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor