Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

I need Informations on progressive cone, dystrophy and stem cells treatment, please suggest

hello, my son is 15y and has been diagnosed in 2004 with progressive cone dystrophy high myopia and congenital nystagmus , is also has moderate learning difficulties ,his loosing more of his vision ,we are devastated and scared ,please help us with any informations or treatment ,if stem cells implant is an option for my son? we are willing to travel any were in the world to seek treatment and save him from blindness .thank you in advance .
Asked On : Mon, 7 Feb 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  477
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
dear zahra,
Progressive cone dystrophy as the name suggests is a progressive disease, however rate of progression varies from patient to patient. The good part is that these patients rarerly progress to total blindness and will retain a good part of their peripheral vision,which will sustain them in their daily activities especially in famililar surroundings.Fine visual activities like reading may not be an option in the long run.It may be useful to approach low vision clinics in your area to maximise the available vision and aid in his overall development appropriate for his age. Stem cell therapy is at best only an experimental therapy in the current stage of stem cell research. Dr Merine Paul.
Answered: Wed, 9 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor