Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
131 Doctors are Online

I am an Army vet with lots of pain and injuries

I am an Army vet. Had a fracture in my femur, got thrown over an obstacle in basic by an impatient DS. Felt something snap. Fought for x-ray and MRI and was eventually told that I have SIJ dysfunction. They would not explain, but I gather that it means my hips rotate. I was also told I have degenerative joint disease in my spine. Have no idea what that is, was told by a military doctor it was caused by injury during PT. Have a shoulder that sits lower than the other (civilian doctor diagnosed) but gave me a sling and told me it would heal. It hasn't. I guess it's separated shoulder, but don't know if that means the tendons are torn or what. Now I'm having spells of tingling and numbness in my back, in what feels like a circular area over the middle of my spine. I am twenty-five, female, and was perfectly healthy before the Army. The doctor who diagnosed the degenerative joint disease told me I would be in a wheelchair before the age of thirty, and I am afraid that it's true. Please help me understand my injuries .
Asked On : Fri, 12 Feb 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  312
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
  Anonymous's Response

Hi.. Sacroiliac joint is a joint betweent the pelvis bone and the spine.. The purpose of this joint being in stabilising the spine, means of transfering weight and assists in movement at the back to some instance.. They are supported by ligaments. If there is loosening of these ligaments, this functions of the joint is lost resulting in pain.. It commonly occurs due to injuries and very occasionaly wear and tear can be a cause.. This is termed as sacroiliac dysfunction..

Degenerative joint disease is a broad term referring to the wear and tear occuring at the joints usually due to damaged cartilage.. The common degenerative joint disease is osteoarthritis.. Though an age related disease common in elderly, it can occur in young due to exertion, over weight or secondary to other bone disease... It is usually a  progressive disease and the rate of progression, the resultant physical defects depends on the severity of the cause..  Hence you can help in reducing the progression of this disease by reducing your  weight, avoiding excessive and strenous physical activity, good bed rest, use of painkillers if needed.. Occasionally steroid treatment are initiated.. If the pain or the deformities are severe and affecting physical life, surgeries are indicated..

I feel the sensory symptoms that you have may be psychogenic.. However multivitamin supplements and stress reducing exercises should help.. If problems persist consult a doctor for evaluation..

Hope this had helped in making you understand about your conditions atleast to some instant....


Answered: Sat, 13 Feb 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor