Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
152 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
MD
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How To Treat Seafood Allergy?

Hello The other day I had prawns to eat in a restaurant and there was too much sauce on them and they tasted really soft and weird. Later that night I started wheezing badly and I couldn t breathe My asthma inhaled did absolutely nothing to help clear it I was so frighten and lady most of the night Was this a allergic reaction to the prawns
Thu, 31 Aug 2017
Report Abuse
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
The symptoms you describe certainly sound like an allergy to prawns. If you were my patient I would tell you to avoid prawns at all times, read labels to assure there are no such ingredients and certainly mention it the next time you see your physician so he can note it in your chart. Since the reaction was so severe, the doctor may have to do an inhalation treatment of corticosteroids to relieve the symptoms and you may also need an epinephrine pen to carry in case you are accidentally exposes - say as an ingredient in a combination dish at a restaurant.

Regards/Best Wishes, Kathy Shattler, MS, RDN
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on
 

Related questions you may be interested in


How To Treat Seafood Allergy?

Welcome to HCM, The symptoms you describe certainly sound like an allergy to prawns. If you were my patient I would tell you to avoid prawns at all times, read labels to assure there are no such ingredients and certainly mention it the next time you see your physician so he can note it in your chart. Since the reaction was so severe, the doctor may have to do an inhalation treatment of corticosteroids to relieve the symptoms and you may also need an epinephrine pen to carry in case you are accidentally exposes - say as an ingredient in a combination dish at a restaurant. Regards/Best Wishes, Kathy Shattler, MS, RDN