How to gain weight?

Hi I just would like to find out if it were possible to gain weight as I have tried multiple diets and protein shakes, now as I haven't seen any progress is it possible to slow my metabolism or possibly take protein injections if i were to keep away from steriods and so forth?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Dietitian & Nutritionist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to'Ask A Doctor':
You mention you are on steroids but not whether they are medically necessary or for training or what kind of steroids are taking, anabolic or cortisone. The type of steroids determines dietary advice.

My advice to you to gain weight is to concentrate on eating whole grain carbohydrates and good fats together at the same meal. Examples include potatoes and margarine, bread dipped in olive oil, raisens and nuts, nutbutter and bread, corn, potatoes and margarine, whole milk and dairy, cheese and noodles/bread/potatoes. All these food combinations should help you gain weight.

I hope this helps you.
Warmly,
Kathy Shatter,BS,MS, RDN