How long does a swollen and itchy insect bite take to heal?

Hello! I was bitten by something 3 days ago & still have a large swollen & itchy spot. The bite was sharp & painful making me think it was a horsefly but I’m not sure. I have bad allergies to some animals especially cats so I’m hoping I just had a reaction that will pass... please help me figure out the source & if time will heal. Thank you!!
Thu, 7 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
As per your case history you are having insect bite dermatitis.
My treatment advice is -
1. Don't scratch the lesion as it may worsen the condition.
2. Apply a mild antibiotic cream like Fusiderm cream twice daily on it.
3. Take an antihistamine medication like Levocetrizine twice daily for 7-10 days.
4. Other treatment options are oral antibiotics, oral steroid taken only after consulting a dermatologist.

Thanks.
Dr. Harshit bhachech.
MBBS, DDVL.