How early can a surgery be done for a hole in the heart?

Hi, My daughter aged 2.5 years is diagnosed with a hole in heart after a 2D echo test was done and suggested by Doctor to under go surgery. There are no much symptoms for her but just frequent cold cough for every 2 weeks. 1. Till what age we can wait to get the surgery done . She is just 2yeras 5 months now 2. What kind of surgery will be done? Are there any alternative procedure or only surgery to close the hole 3.What would be the recovery time after surgery
Mon, 2 Jul 2018
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

It entirely depends on the size of hole. I guess it must be a larger hole from the scenario you explained. So should be done as early as possible may be within few months. Device closure is an option for smaller hole so should discuss with your doctor. Recovery usually occurs in 2 weeks. All the best.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.